Monday, May 26, 2014

Elmer Bruce Lloyd, ACMM, US Navy (1886-1948)

Over on WikiTree, I've been working on biographies on my family tree. One of these is my paternal grandfather's biography, which is almost complete. Since he was a veteran of two world wars, I thought Memorial Day would be an appropriate time to share, even though I've still got several source citations to complete.

Elmer Bruce Lloyd, looking jaunty in his leather jacket, as he rests his arm against one of the propeller planes he worked on. (Scan of photo, original in RLM's collection.)
Lloyd, Elmer Bruce, WWI Draft Registration Card (FamilySearch)
Elmer Bruce Lloyd was born 2 May 1886 in Michigan. (Most likely, Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa, Michigan. Lloyd-391 00:23, 17 May 2014 (EDT)) He was the forth child and second son of Samuel Hughes Lloyd and Jane Ellen Higgins. He died 19 January 1948.
His son Winston wrote about his early education[1]: "I thought he had finished the eighth grade but Bruce says Father told him it was the third grade and I believe him. (Per the 1940 US Census, Elmer B. Lloyd had completed 8th grade. Lloyd-391 15:56, 19 May 2014 (EDT)) The story goes...

To read the rest of the biography and see more photos, please visit my grandfather's profile on WikiTree. I've also created military pages for him on Ancestry, and at Fold3, where you can view additional sources and photographs that have not yet been added to his biography.

No comments:

Post a Comment